If you are a student or professional who would like to conduct research using the Hamann-Todd collection, please visit our Research Request
The Hamann-Todd Osteological Collection
In 1912, Western Reserve University (now Case Western Reserve University) professor of anatomy T.W. Todd took advantage of a newly changed law that allowed educators to retain skeletons and other specimens from cadavers used by medical students. By the time of his death in 1938, Todd had amassed a collection of more than 3,000 skeletons and records of 3,600 cadavers. Assisted by Carl Hamann, dean of Western Reserve University's School of Medicine, the collection represented the largest, most documented human skeletal collection in the world. During the 1950s and 1960s, the collection was transferred to the Museum, where it has become one of the most researched museum collections in the world. The Hamann-Todd collection is used by Museum curators as well as visiting researchers, including scientists and physicians. The collection is referenced in hundreds of publications and remains a valuable source of information for researchers all over the world.
Johns Hopkins Fetal Collection
Adolf Schultz, a 20th century primatologist and anatomist, worked at the Johns Hopkins Medical school from 1916 to 1951. He visited the Hamann Museum of Comparative Anatomy and Anthropology at Western Reserve University (now Case Western Reserve University) several times to examine specimens. One of his interests was human embryology, and he collected 112 human fetal skulls from still births of that era in Baltimore, Maryland. When Schultz returned to his native Zurich in 1951 the collection of fetal skulls was left behind. Another Hopkins anatomist, Dr. David Bodian, was a member of the Western Reserve University’s anatomy faculty during World War II. Bodian arranged to have Schultz's collection transferred to The Cleveland Museum of Natural History on a permanent loan basis in 1973.
The Museum began collecting primate specimens early in the 20th century. Some of the specimens were collected by Museum expeditions to Central America and Africa during the 1920’s and 1930’s. Since then, local zoos have also donated specimens to be documented, macerated and preserved for the future. Future donations of primate material to the Museum will be added to this collection as the Hamann-Todd Collection is a closed collection.